Self storage is the best option when you are either facing a space crunch at your home or planning to move to a new location but not sure what to do with the additional belongings. If you have decided to store your belongings at a New York storage facility, here are some tips that you need to keep in mind to ensure that your belongings remain safe and are not damaged during the transit or at the storage facility –
- Do not leave spaces between the items that you pack, especially fragile items as this will allow the items to come in contact with each other, leading to breakage and scratching.
- Always use boxes that are made only for the purpose of storing belongings. Most people will suggest using cartons or other cardboard boxes as that will be cheaper. However, use only boxes specifically meant for storage purpose for the safety of your belongings.
- Fill cups and other breakable items with padding to ensure that they do not crack.
- If you are packing something that can be stained by ink, do not use newspaper to pack such items.
- When storing refrigerators or freezers, ensure that they are empty and defrost them.
- Kitchen appliances should be cleaned thoroughly as unclean appliances can attract moths and insects, which can jeopardize your whole storage space.
- When storing heavy machinery such as bikes or lawn mowers, clean them thoroughly, wipe them and apply either polish or oil to prevent rusting.
- You can make use of the furniture when storing your belongings. There are several items such as books or toys that can be stored in the furniture. Take off anything lying in the space provided for storage in your furniture, clean the space and then neatly keep the belongings in there.
- When storing alcohol, ensure that it is tightly packed and is not stored with items that can be damaged permanently in case there is a leakage.
- When packing glassware and dishes, ensure that both the sides are prepared with a protective layer of paper or bubble wrap to ensure no breakage.
- When storing clothes, add moth balls to avoid moths and pests from infesting them.
Self storage facilities are a good option as they allow people to have a secure place for their belongings without having to worry about the lack of space at their homes or offices. Keep these tips in mind and choose the best self storage unit to keep your belongings safe always.