Consider few things for using self storage units:
- Pallets: Keeping your items off the floor is very essential.
- Wrap What You Can: Each time you use a storage unit, try to wrap what you can in an industrial plastic wrap.
- Use A Hefty Small Lock: Find an all-weather pad lock that has a short arm to ensure a bolt cutter can't slide it's way in to be sliced open.
- Label: Label everything. The hidden, the obvious, and you can even go as far as to make a checklist.
- Plan For Temperature Changes: There are a few things that don't like the cold or the heat and should either be double wrapped or well insulated or not stored at all.
- Winter? Carry Sand!: Carry cat litter, sand or even spare sheets of plywood to help you unload or access your items.
- Protect The Space: While we're concerned about protecting what we put in the unit, protecting the unit itself is also important — there can be heavy fines for scarring the unit during your tenancy.
- Bust Out Your Tetris Skills: Even the smallest storage unit can hold a great deal, just make sure you use the space wisely which means packing things all the way to the ceiling.